Mindfulness-based stillness meditation
“If you truly want to change your life, you must first be willing to change your mind.”
This 8-week course is structured to gently lead you into the practice of mindfulness meditation. We’ll go step by step through the process, and by the end of the course you’ll be able to practice on your own.
During the course, we’ll discuss:
- Preparation for meditation: environment, relaxation, posture, attitude
- Benefits of mindfulness meditation
- Two primary modes of being; stress response, relaxation response
- Two aspects of mind: thinking and awareness
- Awareness and the contents of awareness
- Qualities of awareness
- Emotions and the ACE factor (attending, connecting, expressing)
- Two aspects of emotions: cognitive and affective
- Movement and stillness
- Mindfulness in daily life
- Obstacles to mindfulness and how to deal with them
Over the 8 weeks, we’ll practice mindfulness of sounds, breathing, body, emotions and thinking. This will lead us to the complete practice of mindfulness-based stillness.
Why learn mindfulness meditation?
Because it works! Hundreds of scientific studies show that mindfulness helps:
- reduce stress and psychological distress
- decrease anxiety and depression
- increase emotion regulation and self-control
- improve general health and ability to deal with illness
- boost resilience
- enhance social and relational skills
- improve a range of cognitive functions.
- Download weekly course notes and meditation instructions
- Access to guided meditations specific to this course
Time and dates
Classes run over 8 weeks. All classes are on Tuesdays, from 1 May to 26 June (no class on Tuesday 15 May). Each session runs for a full 90 minutes.
Enrol in one of 2 sessions: 1-.2.30pm or 6-7.30pm.
- $TBA (incl. GST) plus 30c booking fee
Bookings will open when we finalise a venue.