Mindfulness-based stillness meditation
“If you truly want to change your life, you must first be willing to change your mind.”
This 8-week course, designed by the Gawler Foundation, is structured to gently lead you into the practice of mindfulness meditation. We’ll go step by step through the process, providing a little theory and an opportunity for guided practice.
During the course, we’ll discuss:
- Preparation for meditation: environment, relaxation, posture, attitude
- Benefits of mindfulness meditation
- Obstacles to mindfulness and how to deal with them
- Two primary modes of being; stress response, relaxation response
- Two aspects of mind: thinking and awareness
- Awareness and the contents of awareness
- Qualities of awareness
- Emotions and the ACE factor (attending, connecting, expressing)
- Two aspects of emotions: cognitive and affective
- Movement and stillness
- Mindfulness in daily life
Over the 8 weeks, we’ll practice mindfulness of sounds, breath, body, emotions and thoughts. This will lead us to the complete practice of mindfulness-based stillness.
The course is facilitated by Dey Alexander. Dey has been meditating for 17 years. She trained as a meditation teacher through the Gawler Foundation and is registered to offer this course.
Why learn mindfulness meditation?
Because it works! Hundreds of scientific studies show that mindfulness helps:
- reduce stress and psychological distress
- decrease anxiety and depression
- increase emotion regulation and self-control
- improve general health and ability to deal with illness
- boost resilience
- enhance social and relational skills
- improve a range of cognitive functions.
As part of the course, you’ll get:
- Weekly course handouts
- Access to download further reading
- Guided meditations recorded to help you work your way through the course.
Time and dates
Classes run over 8 weeks. All classes are on Tuesdays, from 1 May to 26 June (no class on Tuesday 15 May). Each session runs for the full 90 minutes. Enrol in one of 2 sessions:
- Afternoon session, 1-2.30pm
- Evening session, 7-8.30pm.
Location and parking
The workshops will be held at Kyabram Community and Learning Centre, 21-25 Lake Road, Kyabram. Free parking is available at the rear of the centre.
Cost and registration
$77.00 (incl. GST), plus 30c booking fee.