Mindfulness-based stillness meditation
“If you truly want to change your life, you must first be willing to change your mind.”
This 8-week course, designed by the Gawler Foundation, is structured to gently lead you into the practice of mindfulness meditation. We’ll go step by step through the process, providing a little theory and an opportunity for guided practice.
During the course, we’ll discuss:
- Benefits of mindfulness meditation
- Preparation for meditation: environment, relaxation, posture, attitude
- Obstacles to mindfulness and how to deal with them
- Two primary modes of being: stress response, relaxation response
- Two aspects of mind: thinking and awareness
- Awareness and the contents of awareness
- Qualities of awareness
- Emotions and the ACE factor (attending, connecting, expressing)
- Two aspects of emotions: cognitive and affective
- Movement and stillness
- Mindfulness in daily life
Over the 8 weeks, we’ll practice mindfulness of sounds, breath, body, emotions and thoughts. This will lead us to the complete practice of mindfulness-based stillness.
The course is facilitated by Dey Alexander. Dey has been meditating for 17 years. She trained as a meditation teacher through the Gawler Foundation and is registered to offer this course.
Why learn mindfulness meditation?
Because it works! Hundreds of scientific studies show that mindfulness helps:
- reduce stress and psychological distress
- decrease anxiety and depression
- increase emotion regulation and self-control
- improve general health and ability to deal with illness
- boost resilience
- enhance social and relational skills
- improve a range of cognitive functions.
As part of the course, you’ll get:
- Weekly course handouts
- Access to download further reading
- Guided meditations recorded to help you work your way through the course.
Time and dates
Classes run over 8 weeks. All classes are on Tuesdays from 7 to 8.30pm.
Next course dates: 31 July to 18 September 2018.
Location and parking
The workshop runs at Kyabram Town Hall. Free parking is available at the rear of the Town Hall in Bradley Street.
Cost and registration
$77.00 (incl. GST), plus 30c booking fee.